Tuesday 5 December 2017

Celebrity Magazine Cover


1. Summarise the music celebrity you have created. Include name, music genre, personality and how they are being used to comment on contemporary celebrity.

I gave my celebrity the same name as me, and while this is a fictionalised version of me, I think giving him a normal name rather than a stage name chosen for appeal (such as an alliterative name or a single word like JayZ) supports the character's representation of an indie style of music, where I think artists would be more likely to use their real name. My celebrity is one who presents themselves as more of a normal human being ,rather than other male artists who perhaps go too far to present themselves as macho or tough-looking.

2. Evaluate how you have constructed the representation of your celebrity through your cover image and cover headline/text.

My celebrity sits alone against a nighttime countryside background, perhaps to show the solitude of fame in how it separates you from the rest of society and people's regular lives. He is quite small in the frame compared to other Billboard covers, but this just goes further to illustrate a sense of solitude and loneliness. The 'other side of stardom', as written in the magazine text, is represented through the presence of literal stars above the celebrity, who looks up as in searching for another meaning - or their other side. Of course, the actual message of this phrase, to stop focusing on celebrity glamour and go back to the roots of music, is shown through the celebrity's casual dress and lack of obvious makeup, as well as the use of an acoustic guitar rather than an electric one, which would have been indicative of a modern setting - but this acoustic guitar instead encourages us to look back.

3. Reflect on the production/editing process.  Are you pleased with the end result? Identify what is successful about your shot?  What would you have done differently in hindsight?

I am pleased with the end result, as I think the model and background have blended well to create an eye-catching image - certainly helped by the blue colour grade applied to both. I think the shot of the celebrity is the best one of the set that was photographed, as some others, such as the one where I was leaning on the guitar while standing up, looked awkward and would not have contributed to the relaxed emotion I was seeking. However, I think there is room for improvement, as the model is perhaps too small in the frame, and could have been larger to fill more space on the cover. The reason I made him his current size was to leave some space above his head for the stars to be visible, so perhaps the solution to both problems would have been to retake the shot in many different poses to allow for more flexibility in choice of photograph later on.



No comments:

Post a Comment