Wednesday 21 March 2018

11. Production Review: My production and my intended improvements

During production of my advert, I asked several people to give constructive criticism so that I might improve any aspects of my advert that they thought needed attention. This included reviews from both media studies teachers, Mrs Blackborow and Mrs Dymioti, who both looked at the adverts from a layout and design perspective, as well as a review from Sam Burton, the media technician, who looked at more technical aspects such as colour grading.


7/3/18: Mrs Blackborow review

An example: Advert 2 before and after review
Mrs Blackborow noted that the black box on which the branding was located was too much of a jarring transition from the rest of the advert, and that it completely cut off the image. To rectify this, I changed the box so that it was transparent and gave it softer edges. This eased its transition from the focal image and made sure it didn't completely obscure what was behind it.
I was also recommended to remove the transparent box behind the film quote - I had added it to improve the readability of the text, but as it turned out, its use was unnecessary and its removal has made the advert less 'busy' and increased clarity.

15/3/18: Sam Burton review
Colour correction on Abbie's skin in Advert 1.


Improving the pack shot text.
Sam's advice was to reduce the light on Abbie's skin in Advert 1, as this would make her skin tone more similar to that of Andreas and make the advert more consistent. He also suggested that I make the text on the pack shot easier to read, as it was quite thin and difficult to make out from a distance. I therefore made the text larger and emboldened it to make it stand out.
The text on the pack shot was also noticeably superimposed so he suggested finding a way to integrate it onto the pack shot. I improved this aspect by adding an inner glow to the text and wave graphics on the pack shot.

 20/3/18: Mrs Dymioti review

Mrs Dymioti suggested changing the last line of the copy ("That's right - Wave is for everyone."), as it seemed to create conflicting branding with the actual tagline "Catch the wave". To fix this, I replaced all instances of the former with "So come along, and catch the wave." This works better than before because it creates another place where the brand identity is reinforced.

No comments:

Post a Comment